Saturday, August 10, 2013

A Day Roving Around in a Public Market


A hectic locale where you can witness distinctive merchants who meet for the purpose of trading private purchase and sale to earn and meet their own necessities, that’s the image that pops out into my wild imagination every time I hear the words, “public market”. But as I tried to situate myself in the actual vicinity, I ascertained many things behind that cliché portrait of what a public market can be.
One normal day, August 9, 2013 (Friday) at exactly 7:15pm when I entered one of the public markets in our city which is Carmen Wet Market, I first noticed these diverse assiduous vendors of spices, fishes, meats, vegetables and fruits who executed sales talk to entertain and magnetize customers. They do catch my attention as I heard their vociferous voices that clashed in a dim roofed colossal place. The noise also amplified as the customers were haggling vendors about the
price of the meat. Aside from the reverberation I heard from the busy crowd, there were goods that welcomed me where sorts of spices and vegetables like ruddy tomatoes, mauve onions, elongated eggplants arranged in a square medium-sized basket containers being displayed. I also saw hog meats hanging upside down which appear like curtains and some meats were chopped with equal sides. Another product that I have noticed in the market was sliced chicken parts like the chicken legs, wings, breast and more. As I continue my expedition, I almost glide on the soggy floor due to the wet pathway I have strolled.

But good thing, I was able to balance my body and control myself from sliding. If the unpleasant incident would happen to me at that moment in time, it would be so thwarting and embarrassing
on my part. So I’m much thankful that it was not my bad hair day. As I
continued my tour in the market, fresh large fishes arranged orderly came into my sight. There were tilapias, bangus, and other types of fishes which amused my eyes. As I touched one of the fishes, I felt the slimy scales of it. Along my way, I also encountered green leafy vegetables like oval shape cabbage, Moringa oleifera leaves
(mallungay), Chinese cabbage (pechay), string beans and many
more. Before I took my exit in the market, I saw fruits in a certain plain stole like greenish and yellowish bananas and I smelled the aroma of my favorite fruit. A ripe yellow sweet-scented mango! Very tempting to my nose and I can’t help myself to touch and smell it! Hmmm... I love the fragrance of mangoes. At that very day, I have met polite and amicable vendors who allowed me to take pictures with their products which I much appreciated. Their kindnesses are worth gratified for.



It was just a simple day for me gallivanting around the public wet market, yet, I appreciate my experience for it was indeed remarkable. I was around 16 years old when I last visited the market and I realize that it’s so nice to walk around to a place where your mother usually spent their time to purchase their secret ingredients for their recipes. Now I imagine myself few years from now, I’ll spend more time at the market like my mom typically does so I must familiar the place and of course the products being displayed so I can just go there without somebody accompanying me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment